This course provides the participant with a thorough knowledge about utilizing Massage Therapy with infants and children. Upon completing this 16 – 20 hour course, the Massage Therapist/student will have a clear understanding about the realities of infant life from birth through the first year, how massage can be taught to families to augment parenting skills, how massage can be adapted for children and families with special needs, and the role that the Massage Therapist can play in educating families in the need for healthy and respectful touch with their children.
Classes are composed of theory/lectures, demonstrations, hands-on practice, DVD’s, discussions, guest speakers, and clinical experience.
By attending this course, the participant will learn about:
- Theory and practical techniques for providing infant massage to babies with an emphasis on teaching caregivers to work with their own children via massage.
- Information about utilizing Massage Therapy for infants and children with special needs. This includes discussion about Massage Therapy within the neonatal hospital setting.
- An overview of Massage Therapy research as it pertains to Infant Massage.
Summary of Topics Covered
- The Infant at Birth: Physiology and Health Care
- Infant growth and development
- Benefits of infant massage
- Infant massage instruction: techniques for a full-body massage
- Touch relaxation
- Guest visitors: parent and baby
- Different ages
- Teaching infant massage to parents
- Preparation for clinic
- Case history gathering, record keeping
- DVD’s will be interspersed throughout the course
- Infant Massage Instructional Clinics
- Babies with medical histories
- Massage therapy for children
- Adapting massage for children who have special needs/medical or paediatric histories
- Current research related to massage therapy for infants & children
- Integrating Infant & Pediatric Massage into a Massage Therapy Practice
- Community resources
Trimester courses are recognized for Continuing Education Units. M.T.’s in varied locations should check with their local governing body for accreditation of this course.
Massage Therapy for Pregnancy
This training goes beyond the content taught in M.T. schools to provide a solid theoretical and hands-on practice in Pregnancy Massage. The participant will be successful in creating effective goals and treatments for their pregnant clients relative to their stage of pregnancy and their state of well-being. Clear guidelines related to signs and symptoms, contraindications, and possible medical issues will also be addressed. More info…
The R.M.T. as Labour Support Provider
This training enables R.M.T.’s to enter the birthing environment with comprehensive skills in both Labour Support/Doula work and Massage Therapy. The participant will clearly understand the anatomy and physiology of labour and how comfort measures and M.T. result in excellent care for the birthing family to help promote safe, healthy, and satisfying birth experiences. More info…