2 & 3 Day Courses for Massage Therapists & Students of Massage Therapy
The goal of this 16 – 20 hour training is to give the participants a solid theoretical and practical foundation for providing Massage Therapy for the pregnant client. The physical and emotional changes a woman experiences from preconception planning to the birth of their infant(s) are considerable. After taking this course, the Massage Therapist/student will be able to provide safe, professional, and knowledgeable care for their pregnant clients.
Classes will be composed of practical instruction, videos, discussions, guest speakers, and lectures.
The participant will learn about:
- Physiological and anatomical changes occurring during each trimester of pregnancy.
- Theory and practical techniques for providing Massage Therapy, and self-care strategies for pregnant women.
- Developing effective treatment strategies relevant to the client’s goals, signs and symptoms, stage of pregnancy, and medical condition.
- Hands-on practicum where participants can apply their learned skills directly in a clinical setting
Summary of Topics Covered
- Becoming pregnant: preconception concerns
- Choosing a caregiving team during pregnancy
- Physical realities which may occur in each trimester and how the M.T. can facilitate increased ease related to these symptoms:
- morning sickness, fatigue, breast tenderness
- heartburn, varicose veins, abdominal changes
- musculo-skeletal discomforts, postural changes, blood pressure issues
- Hands on M.T. practice appropriate for each trimester which includes practice with positioning, draping, and technique application
- Developing one’s clinical accumen:
- Case History Information, medical issues, and contraindications
- Adapting to the individuality of the pregnant woman and her health history
- Providing safe and effective care which draws on pregnancy as a ‘normal’, healthy event in the life of the woman
- Stress and emotional factors which can impact on the pregnant woman
- Self-care exercises and hydrotherapy during pregnancy
- Taping for the Pregnancy & Postpartum time frames
- Tips to aid in Pelvic Floor Health
- M.T. preparation for the birthing experience
- Marketing strategies for establishing a well known Perinatal Clinical practice
- Community resources & making appropriate referrals
Trimester courses are recognized for Continuing Education Units. M.T.’s in varied locations should check with their local governing body for accreditation of this course.
The R.M.T. Working with Infants and Children
This course teaches participants about the realities for parents and their infants after their birthing experience. The participant learns how massage can be taught to families to augment their parenting skills, and how M.T. can be utilized with babies & children, and families with medical/special needs. Most importantly, the focus is on the role that the Massage Therapist can play in educating families in the need for healthy and respectful touch with their children. More info…
The R.M.T. as Labour Support Provider
This training enables R.M.T.’s to enter the birthing environment with comprehensive skills in both Labour Support/Doula work and Massage Therapy. The participant will clearly understand the anatomy and physiology of labour and how comfort measures and M.T. result in excellent care for the birthing family to help promote safe, healthy, and satisfying birth experiences. More info…