The goal of this course is to prepare R.M.T.’s & Students of Massage Therapy to be professional labour support providers/doulas. This course is a comprehensive training which will underscore the vital role of the Massage Therapist and their professional skillset pertaining to the birthing process of their clients.
Upon completing this course, the participant will have a clear understanding about the physiology of labour, and how comfort measures including Massage Therapy can be utilized to provide excellent care during birth. Our goal is to train therapists to be highly competent in offering the birthing family as much support as possible toward creating a safe and healthy birth.
Classes will be composed of theoretical and practical training, interactive discussions, hands-on practice, videos, guest speakers & additional resources to enhance ongoing learning/professional development.
The participation will learn about:
- The role of the Massage Therapist as Labour Support Person within the birthing process.
- Signs & Stages of Birth, providing comfort measures, helping the family cope with pain/discomfort, & providing physical & emotional support.
- Information about medical procedures & possible labour/birth complications.
- An overview of Massage Therapy research as it pertains to Labour Support.
This course assumes that the participant has some understanding of pregnancy, and how Massage Therapy can be utilized during that process. It is important for the participant to understand that this is not a course about pregnancy, but rather the birthing process.
Summary of Topics Covered
- What is Labour Support/What is a Doula?
- The role of the Labour Support Provider (LSP)
- Working with the partner and other Birth Careproviders
- Tools for providing labour support
- The signs of labour
- The labour process
- Stages of labour
- Hands-on practice: breathing, relaxation, body awareness, positioning, vocalization, hands-on massage applications
- The Birthing Environment
- The birth plan
- Videos of birthing experiences will be shown throughout this course
- How to cope with discomfort/pain during labour
- Guest Speaker: A Client’s experience of their Birth
- Cultural aspects of Birth
- Studies on Labour Support effectiveness
- Including Labour Support in a Massage Therapy practice
- Community resources/networking
- Factors which influence the outcome of labour
- Complications of the pregnancy and their impact on the labouring process
- Inductions, C-Sections and other Medical interventions
- Emergency considerations: complications of labour and delivery
- Unexpected Outcomes – grief & loss
Trimester courses are recognized for Continuing Education Units. M.T.’s in varied locations should check with their local governing body for accreditation of this course.
The R.M.T. Working with Infants and Children
This course teaches participants about the realities for parents and their infants after their birthing experience. The participant learns how massage can be taught to families to augment their parenting skills, and how M.T. can be utilized with babies & children, and families with medical/special needs. Most importantly, the focus is on the role that the Massage Therapist can play in educating families in the need for healthy and respectful touch with their children. More info…
Massage Therapy for Pregnancy
This training goes beyond the content taught in M.T. schools to provide a solid theoretical and hands-on practice in Pregnancy Massage. The participant will be successful in creating effective goals and treatments for their pregnant clients relative to their stage of pregnancy and their state of well-being. Clear guidelines related to signs and symptoms, contraindications, and possible medical issues will also be addressed. More info…